ಗುರುವಾರ, ಏಪ್ರಿಲ್ 22, 2010

Rant: Gun Safety

I just read a very sad story about a 4 year old boy who accidentally killed himself by playing with a loaded gun that his parents left in their bedroom.

The parents should be prosecuted.  They should lose their gun ownership rights, permanently.

I am a solid 2nd supporter and a life member of the NRA.  I don't believe in waiting periods, assault weapons bans, ammunition serial numbers, "smart guns", or any of it.  But I do believe in responsibility.  All gun owners are responsible for the safe storage of their weapons.  Period.

There are inexpensive gun locks and quick-access boxes which would allow you to get your piece out quickly if you need to.  I myself have a fantastic pistol safe with a Simplex pushbutton combination lock.  I can get my .45 out and ready to shoot in about 10 seconds.

There is no excuse, ever, for leaving a loaded gun around where a little kid could find it and hurt themselves.