ಸೋಮವಾರ, ಜನವರಿ 4, 2010

Ward's 10 Best Engines

Ward's has published their list of the 10 best engines (article here). They have given extra weight to efficiency, I think, considering the overall small displacement (average 2.73L) and large number of diesels, turbos, and hybrids on the list.

7 companies made the list, VW, BMW, Ford, GM, Hyundai, Subaru, and Toyota. Some big names are missing--nothing from Nissan or Honda here. No Mercedes. Chrysler's Phoenix didn't make it in time for this year's list, maybe Chrysler can make next year's? Maybe Fiat's Multi-air, next time?

This year's winners and the applications tested:

    • 2.0L TFSI Turbocharged DOHC I-4 (Audi A4)
    • 3.0L TFSI Supercharged DOHC V-6 (Audi S4)
    • 3.0L DOHC I-6 Turbodiesel (BMW 335d)
    • 2.5L DOHC I-4 Hybrid (Ford Fusion Hybrid)
    • 3.5L EcoBoost Turbocharged DOHC V-6 (Ford Taurus SHO)
    • 2.4L Ecotec DOHC I-4 (Chevrolet Equinox)
    • 4.6L Tau DOHC V-8 (Hyundai Genesis)
    • 2.5L Turbocharged DOHC H-4 (Subaru Legacy 2.5GT)
    • 1.8L DOHC I-4 Hybrid (Toyota Prius)
    • 2.0L SOHC I-4 Turbodiesel (Volkswagen Jetta SportWagen TDI)